Why a killer website matters to your business + the facts to prove it!
I went back to my academic roots today (ugh) and rounded up allllll the sources to really knock a point home with you.
In case I haven't already convinced you ...
Your website really. freaking. matters!
Here's some snippets of findings about just how vital your website is, from some of the most authoritative businesses (looking at you Google), universities and blogs online.
Simple website descriptions open wallets
"Researchers ... wanted to find out if people were more likely to spend money in response to complicated descriptions or simple ones. As you would assume, the simple options won. If consumers felt that an option was simple or easy, it made them more likely to spend their money." (Source: Kissmetrics, Yale University, Stanford University, and the University of Michigan)
First impressions are the difference between someone staying or closing the tab
- "A websites’ first impression is known to be a crucial moment for capturing the users interest. Within a fraction of time, people build a first visceral “gut feeling” that helps them to decide whether they are going to stay at this place or continue surfing to other sites." (Source: Google)
- "A website’s design often provides the first impression customers have of a company. If the design is outdated, disorganized, cluttered, or uses unappealing colors, it creates a poor first impression." (Source: CrazyEgg.com)
- "It takes less than two-tenths of a second for an online visitor to form a first opinion of your brand once they've perused your company's website." (Source: Entrepreneur.com and Missouri University of Science and Technology)
Visitors abandon slow loading websites
- "40% of people will abandon a web page if it takes more than 3 seconds to load." (Source: Inc.com)
Pretty site design builds trust
- "When (she) reviewed the reasons why people distrusted a website, 94% cited design problems." (Source: Soclaitriggers.com)
- "Consumers are 20% more trusting of websites than they were five years ago—largely because websites today are prettier than the websites of 2006: As aesthetically orientated humans, we’re psychologically hardwired to trust beautiful people, and the same goes for websites." (Source: Kissmetrics)
- "With websites becoming increasingly attractive ... this creates a greater feeling of trustworthiness and professionalism in online consumers." (Source: Kissmetrics)
Visitors prefer simple websites
- "Designs that contradict what users typically expect of a website may trigger a suboptimal first impression and impair users’ expectations.” (Plain English translation: Uncommon site design gives a negative impression of the site)(Source: Google)
- "Users strongly prefer website designs that look both simple ... and familiar" (Source: Google)
- "Google’s research discovered that simple websites ... were much more appealing than complicated websites." (Source: Kissmetrics and Google)
- “Users prefer websites with low visual complexity” (Source: Google)
So, I have to ask. What's your gut feeling after reading those facts? Feel confident your website is killing it? Or are you is a lovely sinking dread feeling washing over you?
All good, your website is totally fixable, and it doesn't need to be some giant technical nightmare to trudge through!